Tuesday 22 February 2011

Benefit job audition experience

I thought I would write a quick post on my experience of a Benefit cosmetics job audition.

First of all because when I found out I was going for an audition, the first thing I did was Google it. There was hardly anything on a benefit job audition, only a couple of forums, which all said the same thing- be pushy and keep traffic stopping people. 

Once you have had a telephone interview where you are asked simple things like why do you want to work for Benefit, you get booked in for an audition at your nearest store.                                                

When I arrived at the audition the manager had the days mixed up and didn't show up- something I had read that other girls had experienced online. So we got a half heated apology and told to come back the following week. 

Once you have arrived at your audition (if it happens) and you are settled, you get shown how to traffic stop. You then role play traffic stopping with the other girls that are auditioning. 

The lines are:

"Hi, have you heard of Benefit"

"Come with me I've got some great products to show you"

"It will only take a minute, come with me"

If your more confident, they are rather fond of calling the customer "honey...."

Once you've covered that they take you through four of their popular products, demonstrate how to use them, learn all the information, memorise the cheesy one liners and then you practise on another girl. 

After that you go out asking customers to come over to the counter. 

It difficult, remembering all the lines, remember what order the products go in, and it's scary blabbering on to the customer when you're not entirely sure that you're saying the right thing. 

Once you have done one half of the face, you go onto the next half and ask them what they are up to today, where they go out at the weekend, typically cliche questions. 

That's the basics, what they don't tell you is that no matter how good you are at make-up, if you're not good at pestering people and making yourself look like a nag- then you won't get the job. 

I got two girls over to the desk in an hour- the same as everyone else- but if you're not asking every single person that walks past, old, young, who ever, then you aren't going to be successful.  

Needless to say I didn't get the job because I wasn't pushy enough, for a full explanation of what goes on at a Benefit audition, have a quick watch of my video below.

 Photograph- Eric Powell- Yelp.com


3 comments:

  1. That's what I hated about my old job.

    I can't stand it when Sale Assistants pester you to death, so why would I do it to someone else?
    I just don't feel comfortable doing it,
    so I didn't, thats probably why my manager hated me, ha :D

    Plus I can't stand the fakeness of it all.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh, sounds like all they care about is selling and thats it really. I would hate to have to do that, and I tend to avoid my local benefit counter like the plague cause as soon as you approach it you get jumped on. I guess its how they do it:(
    Would really love it if you have a look at my blog:) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, I just recently had an audition for benefit and suprisingly I actually enjoyed it, read the details on my blog http://alxandrascloset.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/benefit-cosmetics-audition.html I hope this helps out anyone preparing to go for an audition soon! x

    ReplyDelete